Bamberg dynasty of magicians.
Since the end of the eighteenth century, this family with the surname Bamberg, delivered six generations of magicians. All members were well-known in their time. Some of them gained international fame. The members of the first five generations were born in the Netherlands.
A series of four articles was published about this dynasty in 2021.
Since 2020, a book about this family is in preparation. First, all available information is being collected, with the aim to make a sort of reference manual available. This will be an extensive document, containing all consulted sources. It will be published in English, probably as a PDF. Once done, a book may appear, written in Dutch and aimed at a broader audience than the manual. The purpose is to avoid that this interesting and memorable family will be forgotten. If there will be sufficient interest, this book can also be made available in English, in time.
Status as per December 2022.
- Twenty-four of the twenty-six chapters are ready in Dutch; the remaining two are partly finished. The largest chapters are about (1) Tobias Leendert (Theodore) Bamberg, internationally renowned as Okito and (2) his son David Tobias Bamberg, internationally famous as Fu Manchu in the Spanish and Portugues speaking countries of Latin America and Europe.
- A huge amount of information has been collected so far, in the format of articles, books, photos and other illustrations, and testimonials and other documentation. There are thousands of such sources.
- We are now in the process of translating the chapters re. 1, and to integrate the information re. 2. This will still take time.
- Some descendants of this Bamberg family promised to supply more information, illustrations, and/or personal stories, in order to enhance the chapters with a more lifely touch. We hope we still may expects such contributions.
- The purpose of this page is to show the status of the process and to eventually report about the availability of the output.
- For additions: see below.
For those interested, further information can be obtained from the author (see menu “Contact”).
Please view a first sample out of the hundreds of illustrations.
- (December 2022). The planning slips all the time, because new sources pop up. Such as digital archives of periodicals, like through European webstites. There are many, among which an Austrian archive, that contains much information about Okito (and his son), as well as an almost complete oveview of the carreer of Okito’s daughter Dorothy, as a star in the Austrian top nightclub “Femina”. With a nice number of good photo’s.
- All 27 chapters are ready in Dutch. Translated so far into English are the chapters of: Magnus David, Rebecca, Kaatje, Simon, Nachman, Emanuel (Emile), Eduard (Edward), Eduard Henri, Dorothy, Marianne and Jules Bamberg.
- (January 2023). The chapter about David Tobias Bamberg, also known as “Papa” Bamberg, is added in English.
- (February/March 2023). In the process of translating the Dutch version of the chapter about “Okito” into English and integrating numerous new findings about him.
- (March 1923). With full cooperation of an American Bamberg descendant, the translated chapters are being edited once more, in order to arrive at a truly English text.